Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Quick Rip - Two More Packs of 2009 O-Pee-Chee Baseball

I'm still digging out (or scanning out, rather) from the tremendous packages I received from a couple of generous folks over the past two or three weeks.  In the meantime, I've got another quick pack rip for today.  On the menu for this afternoon we've got 2009 O-Pee-Chee baseball, from a discount blaster I picked up back in May...

Just 6 cards per pack so I'll double up and rip two of them for this post.  Let's see what's inside pack number 1...

Crush was the man last year, leading the AL in home runs, RBI, and total bases en route to his first career All-Star selection and his first Silver Slugger award.  He even managed to finish 3rd in MVP voting in 2013.  This year he's fought with some injuries and is not producing at the same level.  His batting average is an atrocious .188 as of the time of this post, and his power numbers have dropped significantly as well.  Still cool to get an early-career card of Chris from before his move to Baltimore.

This is really shaping up to be a nice blaster for a Red Sox fan like myself!  I pulled a couple of nice Sox cards in the first pack from the blaster, and this Dustin Pedroia insert is a new one for me as well.

Here's my one-per-pack black parallel.  This looks more like a Derek Jeter card to me than it does a Ryan Sweeney card.

Some pretty big names on this league leaders card, one or two of whom are likely headed for Cooperstown at some point...


A couple of base set commons to close out the pack.  Not the most exciting pack I've opened, but I didn't have any of these previously so you can't ask for much more than that.

On to pack 2!

Brandon's with the Oakland A's now, and I was just reading yesterday about how he has been struggling at the plate, particularly since Cespedes was traded to Boston.  Amazing what a difference it makes having a bat like that protecting you in the lineup.

Johnny Cueto in his pre-dreadlock days, with a bonus appearance by a completely awesome Reds sleeve patch.

Here's my black parallel.  Like the Sweeney from the last pack, this one's off to my trade box.

Now with the Diamondbacks and has been mentioned as a potential target for the Angels.

This is one of the least flattering cards I've seen from this release, looks like Yovani got arrested and is posing for a mug shot.

Closing things out is my favorite card from either pack, a fantastic horizontal card depicting Jake Peavy scrambling around the base paths.

That's a wrap, maybe a little dull as far as these two packs go, but on the whole this set is growing on me more and more...

5 comments:

Mark Kaz said...

Keep 'em coming! Love these cards! The black parallels are sharp.

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks Mark! I'm thinking more and more that I might take a crack at hand-collating this set, we'll see...

buckstorecards said...

Any pack that includes a card that features Mr. Redlegs can never be described as dull.

GCA said...

I'm done with the base set and am down to two dozen black parallels. Email me at qaplagca at yahoo. I stil have a fair amount of dupes of both kinds.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say I love 2009 OPC, but I am very much "in like" with this set.

Obviously just coincidence, but I like that Chris Davis' card shows him batting at Camden Yards.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...