Thursday, August 28, 2014

Cardboard Classics - Campanella Legends Variation

Today I've got a card for your viewing pleasure that I drooled over years ago when I first saw it.  One of those that I've always had in the back of my mind and would occasionally search eBay for ever since.  Earlier this year I finally found a copy for a price I was happy with:

This is one of those legends variation cards from 2009 Topps.  Tell me that's not one of the more interesting photos you've seen on a baseball card?  As someone who is fascinated by old time baseball, particularly the Brooklyn Dodgers, this particular piece of cardboard just struck a chord with me.  Such an awesome, but totally strange, photo of the Dodgers backstop.  Not sure what he's doing in front of the outfield wall, outstretched like that.  Clearly a posed shot but I like it nonetheless.  Good to know that even back in the '50s Van Heusen shirts had soft collars and wouldn't wrinkle...ever!

Here's the back.  The standard card #210 on the 2009 Topps checklist belongs to Geovany Soto, so this particular card is #210A I guess, or would it be #210B?  Nobody wants to see the back though (even though it does include complete career stats!), let's take one more peek at that great front:

That's all for today.  Maybe this weekend I'll finally get one of these trade package thank you posts up...

6 comments:

Dave said...

...and why is Campy wearing a glove on his right hand?!

Nick said...

This is one of those cards I've always dreamed of owning. Trouble is, I can never seem to find one in my price range.

Greg Zakwin said...

Well, I know of something I need to add to my Campy Collection....

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks guys! Greg, Nick is correct on the price, these sell for more than you think they would for some reason.

I paid an even $10 for mine plus a couple bucks shipping and that was after a couple of years on the lookout. If you see one for $10 or under snatch it up!

Hackenbush said...

Funny how a shirt ad on the wall might offend me today but I love when it's from "the old days".

Mark Kaz said...

WOWOWOW!!!! Great card!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...