Monday, August 18, 2014

'81 Gilbert Perreault and a World Series Champ

Quick post today, one baseball card, one hockey card, both plucked from discount boxes during my last trip to the hobby shop. 

On the hockey side, this 1981-82 O-Pee-Chee Gilbert Perreault.  I primarily collected Topps hockey cards growing up, and Gilbert was not in the '81-82 Topps set, so this card is new to me.  Aside from being a bit off-center, which is normal for O-Pee-Chee cards of the time, it's in great shape.  Seemed like a steal in a six-for-a-dollar bin...


On the baseball side, another new '59 Topps card.  This Gene Woodling cost me two quarters.  A fair price for a guy who won five World Series with the Yankees and another as a coach with Baltimore in the '60s.  Mr. Woodling is sporting a pretty cool shoulder patch in this photo as well.

Back is in good order, you can see all those years with the powerhouse Yankees teams, as well as two seasons missed for military service.  Great stuff!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perreault's not in that set? Neither East nor West? That's an odd omission. He missed time in '80-81 with an injury, but he was still the straw that stirred the drink.

shoeboxlegends said...

I know it! I actually went and double checked myself when I was writing the post and sure enough, no Gil in the Topps version!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...