Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Cleaning Up with a T206

Well, I haven't been as active on the blog during my vacation week here as I'd originally intended.  It's with good reason though, as I've been dedicating the bulk of my time to some cleanup efforts around my house, most notably in my office/hobby room.

In addition to completely rearranging the layout of the room itself, I've been purging cardboard that doesn't really fit my collection as much these days (many of you will be receiving packages in the coming days) as I go through a massive reorganization and categorization of the cards I am keeping on the Trading Card Database.

Cleaning up my office has been rewarding in another sense as well, as I've rediscovered some real gems that I've picked up over the years yet never showed here on the blog for some reason.  Here's one such example:

Always a good day when you can add a T206 to your collection!  I obviously don't know a whole lot about Harry Niles, who was briefly a roommate of the great Branch Rickey.  Looks like he was what you'd describe as a "fan favorite" during his brief time with Boston though.

I don't need to drone on about how great the T206 cards are, I think I'm in the majority there anyway.  Every time I stumble across one of these I ask myself why I haven't been searching out more of them.  Little works of art if you ask me.

This particular card is the Piedmont back.  My ultimate goal is to get one of every Red Sox front variation in the set.  I don't really care as much about the backs, though I suppose it would be nice to get a variation of backs among the thirteen different fronts I'm aiming for.

Harry here is my sixth Red Sox card from this iconic set.  Still a ways to go, but if you'd told me years ago that I'd even get to half a dozen I'd have been skeptical.  Tris Speaker is the biggest obstacle to completion but you never know, maybe someday...

Do you have any T206 cards in your collection?  Are there any that you're in the market for, or would recommend I seek out besides the Red Sox cards?

9 comments:

Chris said...

My vacation starts Saturday-I'll be off all week next week so I'll be doing a lot of what you've been doing. Cleaning, organizing, downsizing, rearranging. I'll probably do some hardcore blog posting and commenting, but then again I might post only once. We shall see.

That Harry Niles is fantastic! I don't have any T206 cards, much less a Red Sox. I had a Jake Stahl in my sights but someone else snatched it up on COMC. If you're looking for recommends, maybe Kin Kinsley can help you out. He seems to know a lot about T206 and which ones are more common/rare.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I have a small gathering of the rascals. I want them all every variation front and back. I know it will never ever be complete or even close. But I can live with knowing that. I posted my most recent one tonight as a matter of fact.

EP said...

I have the Red Sox team set, but nothing from any other teams. If you're patient and look every day, you'll eventually land a Speaker that slips thru the cracks. This is a highly forged set.

Brett Alan said...

I bought one T206, I think for a dollar, many years ago. It's not something I actively seek out, but I'd be happy to get more if the price were right.

Greg Zakwin said...

Great card! Niles has a fun claim to fame, preventing a perfect game by Cy Young and breaking up a no-hitter by another pitcher in the 10th inning.

I'd always recommend picking up a Zack Wheat T206 (first Brooklyn HOFer and it's just a great-looking card of an underappreciated player). The Al Burch batting variation is also a must-have from an aesthetics standpoint.

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/baseball-cards/1909-1911-t206-white-border/al-burch-batting/17888

Mark Hoyle said...

Can’t go wrong with a T206 Redsox card

Nick said...

T206 cards will never not be awesome. I think I currently have five in my collection, one of which is Fred Merkle, which is probably my most desired card in the entire set (not counting the Wagner, Cobb, etc., of course).

Kin said...

I think I have a couple of the cards that look like that...

If you're looking for some (non-feeBay) places to look for more, let me know. You have my email!

Fuji said...

I only have one. Ironically, I featured it in today's post. It's the Mike Powers card that Corky (Pack War) gave me a few years ago. I'm on the hunt for a Chief Bender though... so hopefully I'll be able to say I own two.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...