Sunday, September 22, 2019

A Football Card Experiment - Game 3 - J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets!

In just a few minutes, the 2-0 New England Patriots will host the 0-2 New York Jets in Week 3 action at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA.  Continuing with my experiment to acquire and feature one new football card for each Patriots game this year, here's my entry for this week:

I've gone on record numerous times as being an unabashed fan of the Topps "tall-boy" sets of the '60s.  I've been casually picking up examples from the '64-65 hockey set for years now, but Dainard Paulson represents my very first card from its sister 65 football set!

At $3.50, this beauty was the most expensive card from the small lot that I treated myself to as a birthday present, much of which funded the early weeks of this project.  Small price to pay for a tall card and a relevant blog post though in my opinion.

As you can see from the cartoon and the write-up on the back, Paulson was not only one of the best defensive players on the Jets, he was one of the premier backs in the entire league.  In fact, he was an AFL All-Star in both 1964 and 1965.

I'm very happy with the entry for this week, and this project is giving me just the right dose of football cardboard without overwhelming me, exactly as I'd hoped.  Tune in next Sunday for more football content.

Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy the NFL action today!

2 comments:

The Shlabotnik Report said...

Nice continuation to the series! I'm kind of chagrined that I don't have any hockey or football tallboys...

Fuji said...

Not familiar with Paulson (a little before my time)... but that's a great looking card.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...