Thursday, September 5, 2019

Climbing the Hartford Whalers Chart

A month or two back I was the recipient of a very generous package of Hartford Whalers hockey cards from my good buddy Douglas, of Sportscards from the Dollar Store fame.

When the dust settled and I'd looked over and sorted the cards, I found exactly a dozen that were brand new additions to my Whalers collection...

Starting off with a classy-looking Leaf Sean Burke card from the mid-'90s.  I like the minimalist design, even if the foil element is a bit difficult to read in certain light.

A needed Donruss card here, very surprised I don't have this team set knocked off yet.  I have to be getting close at this point!

Parkhurst International was responsible for some of the more overly busy cards of the '90s in my opinion.  That can be a compliment or a complaint, but in this case it's more the latter.  A new Whalers card is a new Whalers card though, and I want them all.

From 1990-91 Score we have winger Dave Tippett...

...center Dean Evason...

...and winger Randy Cunneyworth.  Enough there to make a full forward line, although one of the wingers would have to play on their off side.  I bought a factory set of '90-91 Score years ago, but these are new to me because they're the bilingual Canadian versions!

Speaking of which, I got a pair of Canadian Score cards from the following year's set as well, with top prospect Mark Greig (who played less than one season's worth of total games for Hartford)...

...and the great Zarley Zalapski.  Still hard to believe he passed away before reaching age 50, and was confirmed to have suffered from CTE as well.

Here's a nifty Keith Primeau insert, from an era where pulling an insert felt significant.

We'll close it out with a trio of cards from Pinnacle Summit.  This Brendan Shanahan is a base card...

...whereas this Geoff Sanderson...

...and this Sean Burke are, I believe, Premium Stock parallels.

We began the post with a Sean Burke, and ended the post with a Sean Burke.  How fitting.

With these dozen in hand and added to my collection on The Trading Card Database, I'm now up to 1,677 Hartford Whalers cards and counting.  That's more than 37% of all the Whalers cards listed in the database, so I've got room to grow still.  Nonetheless, that's currently good for the 3rd largest Whalers collection on the database.

I'll keep striving to reach #1, and on that note I received another awesome package from Douglas just today in the mail!  I'll be back with those in the coming weeks, but until then thank you so much Douglas for these much-appreciated cards, and thanks to everyone else for stopping by!

4 comments:

Paul said...

Great stuff! Love seeing cards from the 90's. That Parkhurst International set was one of my favorites as a kid.

Fuji said...

1,677 Hartford Whalers cards? That's super impressive! Best of luck in reaching and becoming the largest collection.

Billy Kingsley said...

That Shanahan sure looks like the Metal parallel to me, the mirror foil cards.

gregory said...

I must have some Whalers cards that you need. How close are you to the #2 ranking on TCDB?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...